RSS/ATOM feeds

Anything else not covered in the other forums should go here!

Moderators: Dabhand, Zarabeth, Achelous

Are you using the RSS/ATOM feeds on this forum?

Yes!
25%
No!
50%
What on earth is RSS/ATOM?
25%

Total votes: 4

Dabhand
Director and general dogsbody

RSS/ATOM feeds

Post by Dabhand » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:36 am

I'm interested to see if you guys are using the RSS/ATOM feed I've added to the forum software a few weeks ago.

If you do or don't, can you give me reasons why? Thanks.
Last edited by Dabhand on Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dabhand.

Dabhand

Post by Dabhand » Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:41 am

RSS/ATOM introduction/information in case you were wondering!
Dabhand.

Gloom
Dark

Post by Gloom » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:52 am

Still double dutch to me :?

Dabhand

Post by Dabhand » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:29 pm

Well, if you're not using Internet Explorer, you will probably have some sort of visible thing on the browser to show you that RSS is enabled.

When you've subscribed to the feed, your browser will check this site and if anything has changed, will show that its happened - usually along with what the change was. For example, when you replied to this my browser showed that you had replied and what you said.

Once you start to use RSS/ATOM - you wonder how you managed to keep visiting all those web sites to see if there was an update!
Dabhand.

Achelous
Director

Post by Achelous » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:43 am

Dabhand wrote:Well, if you're not using Internet Explorer, you will probably have some sort of visible thing on the browser to show you that RSS is enabled.!
I'm using Firefox and can see nothing, altho after downloading the RSS plugin, I have now got it to work.

Shouldn't there be an RSS link button thingy somewhere, I can't see one.

Ach.

Dabhand

Post by Dabhand » Sun Sep 04, 2005 10:17 am

Achelous wrote:Shouldn't there be an RSS link button thingy somewhere, I can't see one.
This should be an 'autodiscover' variant. I'll look into adding it to the page but I'm not sure how simple it is changing the teplates around for this! For example, when i'm on the front page (www.forum.avatardev.co.uk) i get a little 'RSS' box thing in the URL bar (on Opera).

On firefox there's a box/button in the bottom right of the screen - Its titled "Add live bookmark for this page" and when you click on it you see:

Select one and it then adds it to your bookmarks. Its not as good as the one on Opera (which I prefer - no browser wars here please!) in terms of information content, but I'm sure the plugin you downloaded Achy, does the job just as well!
Dabhand.

Achelous
Director

Post by Achelous » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:23 pm

Oh yeah so it does... :D

Nick Harvey
Dull

Post by Nick Harvey » Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:14 am

No way!

With well over one hundred spam e-mails a day, only around eighty of which are labelled as such by Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange, the last thing I need is some other "service" bunging up my inbox.

Once spam is sorted out properly by the international community, then I'll be pleased to use things like RSS which will give me update information on the things I AM interested in.

While things are still as they are, though, it's far quicker for me to go to the websites I'm interested in and simply have a look to see if they've been updated, rather than have to to do a more detailed sift throught the stuff in my e-mail inbox.

Dabhand

Post by Dabhand » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:50 am

I wasn't aware that this sent anything to an e-mail client. For me its an optional list in my web browser, only showing information that I'm interested in - it's also client side powered, meaning of course that nothing will appear unless you ask to monitor it! Yes there is an ability in the forum profile to monitor topics via e-mail but this is different from that!

Uh-oh...
...I do hope that this isn't going to be a starting point for a comment as Nick was sounding very ranty there...!
Dabhand.